The porch at St James' is typical of many timber porches in Hertfordshire. Although sections of the porch have been restored in recent years, it still retains its late mediaeval fabric.
This hatchment - or funeral achievement - one of four hanging in the church. Hatchments were typically hung outside the house of the deceased for a year before being hung in the church.
Looking east, here we see the Goergian box pews which are a major feature of St James'. To the right, we also see the Jacobean pulpit and the mediaeval crown post roof.
A barrister of Gray's Inn, Sir William Saxaye died at the age of 23 while breaking in a horse at Easneye Woods, an ancient area of parkland between Stanstead Abbotts and Ware,
The North Chapel, built by the Baeshe family, contains a number of interesting features. Amongst these are three windows in the east end, each of which contain stained glass from the late 16th Century, when the chapel was built. This particular panel reveals the date itself; 1573.
The piscina was used for the washing of the communion vessels; in this instance, a shelf is provided to enable the recesses also to be used as an aumbry, or cupboard.
The north chapel has a quiet dignity of its own, containing memorials to the owners of Stanstead Bury since the time of Edward Baeshe, who built the chapel itself.